Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Beer in the Rear Chicken

First thing, crack a can of beer. Take a big drink.

Liking the recipe so far? I thought so.

Now, once the can is about half way emptied press in a sprig of rosemary, and a few pieces of peeled garlic, and put it into the center of a dutch oven or roasting pan. I only had bottled beer, so I emptied an old can of coke, and poured the beer into it.




Rinse a fryer inside and out, pat dry with a paper towel.

Gently manoeuvre the can of beer into the cavity of the chicken without spilling any. Rub with salt and pepper.. This time around I decided to add a little bacon hat to the chicken, and because we have hundreds of apples around, I halved a few, and put them into the pan to mingle with the chicken juices.

Put into a 350 degree oven for about 90 minutes, or until the chicken is at least 160, basting the chicken at your leisure.

Remove from the oven and stand for a few minutes.



Now sometimes getting the can out of the chicken is tough. Personally, I pick the chicken up with tongs or oven mitts, invert it, and pour the beer out through the top of the chicken, into the roasting pan.

This last time since I had these lovely chickeny apples and bacon juices in the pan, I decided to make a gravy out of the whole mess. So I set the apples, juices, and beer to boiling and then added corn starch mixed with water. The apples really made this dish, they lent a really nice sweetness and fresh taste to the gravy.


I can of beer
I small fryer or roasting chicken
rosemary (or whichever herbs you have on hand)
Garlic
2 strips of bacon
salt and pepper
a few cut up apples


This is one of my absolutely favorite things to cook- But seriously, poor chicken.

Guten appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment