Monday, January 9, 2012

Hubbard Fries




I got one of my favourite ugly/delicious squash this weekend, the blue hubbard!

(from Belluz at the Market)




There are lots of ways that I like to enjoy, these, but I somehow got the idea that I was going to make fries. Well, I was at a PC party on Sunday, and one of the ladies was talking about how excellent french fries were on the bar pan so I had to try it.

Cut the squash in half, and give it a quick peel. Cut into strips...well, as well as you can. I guarantee there will be some weird ones. Thats ok, fries are awesome.

Toss them in some oil and place in a single layer on the bar pan. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. Flip them, and bake for about another 15. Keep an eye on them, they might need more or less time. Depends on your oven, and how crowded your pan is.  Mine were kind of floppy, but I love 'em all the same!


Serve with aioli with OODLES of garlic. I threw a little amablu gorgonzola in for some more depth as well.

To make an aioli dipping sauce, I am all about simple.

a clove of garlic, pressed.
Lemon juice
1/4 cup of mayo
1/2 cup of sour cream
add some pepper and gorgonzola if you want... I often add herbes de provence as well.

And there you go! French fries made from squash. Even if you think you don't like squash, there is no way to say no to french fries!

(Shameless Plug)
If you need a pampered chef bar pan, you can order one from my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment