Friday, September 6, 2013

Fruit Pizza

This past weekend I was walking through the market buying my favourites and looking at all of the amazing produce, wondering what I was going to write about this week. The beginning of the potatoes or the end of the zucchini, those sweet little cherry tomatoes that my kids can’t seem to get enough of, or perhaps the most enormous golden beet that I have ever seen. I was having a really hard time figuring it out though, because there was something else on my mind.
It is completely nuts.
This week there are five birthdays in my family. Yes, five.
That is a whole lot of parties, presents and cake.  It sort of feels like Mardi Gras. Now- Birthday cake is awesome, right? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people really enjoy it. A thick slab loaded with sweet frosting. It’s a nice thing to have every once in a while, but what do you do when there are 5 parties? Can you actually get bored of birthday cake? The solution- change it up!  There is no rule that says a birthday cake has to be this or that. A cousin of mine actually served Rice Krispie squares at her wedding- how cool is that!
Yesterday was the first of the parties; it was my nieces 2nd B-day Bash. A pizza party- So, for the party I made a fruit pizza!
This is something of a go-to recipe for me- It is easy, delicious, and a very pretty dessert. Usually I’ll buy the dough in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, but finding a roll of plain cookie dough is becoming increasingly difficult- all I could find were the little trays of dough with bats and pumpkins, so I made my own. If you can find a roll of it great. If not, just use your favourite sugar cookie recipe (a recipe for about 5-6 dozen cookies is the perfect size.)

Fruit Pizza
Sugar cookie dough, 1 roll or 1 batch.
1 package of cream cheese, room temperature.
½ cup of powdered sugar
Assorted fruit

Preheat the oven to 375
Press the dough into a pizza pan, or a jelly roll pan- building it up a little at the edges.
Bake in the oven until it is cooked through and the edges have started to brown. About 8-12 minutes- set aside and let cool.
Mix the cream cheese and the powdered sugar together, and spread over the cooled cookie crust.



Decorate your pizza with the cut fruit- making festive patterns and designs!
The Birthday Girl seemed to like it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment