Monday, July 5, 2010

Canada Day/4th of July

It was a double holiday weekend, so we ended up doing a LOT of eating this weekend. In honor of Canada Day, I tried making my first ever red velvet cake, and it turned out spectacularly! I served it up with some berries and rhubarb from the garden. It was delicious! I got the recipe from a cookbook Gramma Iris gave me.

Cake
I cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 ounces red food coloring
2 t unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 t salt
1t vanilla

heat oven to 350 and grease 2 round cake pans. Mix butter, sugar and eggs. Then add remaining ingredients. Pour into pans and bake for 25-30 minutes

Frosting
3 t flour
1 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar (I used 2)
1 cup butter, softened
1t vanilla

cook flour and milk in a saucepan until it boils and thickens.remove from heat and let cool. add cooled mixture to butter, sugar and vanilla- frost and assemble cake.


Well there you have it. Easy as pie...or, cake
------------------------------

1 comment: