Monday, July 12, 2010

Pie!



So we have a massive rhubarb shrub in the yard. Seriously, this thing gets to be 8 feet tall in the summer. Right now it is a perfect height, with tender ruby colored stalks. Cousin Erika brought over a big basket of monster strawberries on my birthday, she had picked them only an hour before at Belluz Farm. If you have ever had a freshly piked strawberry, you will know how delicious they are. They come in all shapes and sizes, some are round, oval, pointy but none bigger than a half dollar. Take a bite and your fingers and mouth are stained bright berry red, by the sweetest and most delicious fruit the season has to offer...and that is the secret.. they are in season! These aren't the supermarket freaks, with all of the taste bred out of them so they would ship better, and who knows where these flavorless fruits originated anyways. The difference between fresh, local and seasonal vs year round grocery store fruit is like night and day.

I never even really liked strawberries. It's because I never had a real one before.

So with all of these delicious fruit what is a girl to do? The strawberries cant sit on a shelf for a week, you have about a day until they start to get soft. So I figured that the perfect solution would be a pie of course!

The problem is that I am a terrible pie maker. They are generally about as good as my cakes, which up until last week i hadn't succeeded in. But, I figured that since I managed to make that red velvet, I would give this another shot as well.




The main problem when it comes to pie is, of course, the crust. Im awful at it. Usually ill go grab one of those Pillsbury refrigerated shells, and were on our way! But since this pie was on a whim, I didn't have one on hand. But I followed a basic recipe, and had success!



The crust is the hard part, but not the fun part! the fun part is the pie filling!



I mixed 1 cup rhubarb, 3 cups berries, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup corn starch, and a pinch of cinnamon.... well a few pinches.

After i poured it into the pie shell I put a few pats of butter on top, put on the top crust, did and egg wash, and voila! It was an ugly pie, but thats not really the point.




It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment