Saturday, July 10, 2010

Goat Cheese!




So Chris got me that goat cheese making set for Xmas and I had yet to use it...Probably because goats milk is hard to find here. Today and I was at safeway, there it was!


So I poured the milk into a pot and added a teaspoon of citric acid, dissolved in 1/4 cup of water, and of course a few pinches of salt. I mixed the whole mess up and heated it to 180 degrees. Now the directions said that I should take it off the heat when it started to see coagulation, but it wasn't really happening. After at about 5 minutes being at 185 or so, I removed it from the heat for 15 minutes. After a few minutes of sitting it finally started to separate...And, yes, I sat there and watched the magic the entire time.




So once it was separated I poured the mixture through a cheese cloth. I was supposed to wait 15 minutes and then transfer to the cheese molds. After 45 minutes, it still wasn't drained so I picked up the cheese cloth and squeezed... and that was good enough for me. I am impatient and I wanted to eat my damn cheese! So it is not as firm as goat cheese that you get in the store, but more the consistency of thick greek yogurt. Perfect for dunking.




It didn't turn out exactly how I envisioned, but luckily it was still delicious!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment