Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gnudi

Very risque, I know.

Gnudi is actually a lot what is sounds like. Nude.

Nude ravioli to be more exact, and believe me when I say that it is going to blow your mind!

These have gained a lot of popularity in the past few years, mainly because they were a huge hit at The Spotted Pig in NYC, which i have never been to, but that is completely beside the point. For about a week straight, this recipe is all that I talked about.

I told a co-worker about this amazing culinary revolution and she said to me "those are just ricotta balls, we used to make them all the time." She then gave me a look that only an Italian lady can... half "are ya stupid?" and half pity for being a non-Italian.


Well, now that I have been schooled, it is now time for you to learn.

Gnudi

1 lb ricotta cheese
2 eggs, 1 yolk
1/2 cup flour
1 cup grated parmesan
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper




Ok you ready? good.

Put all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix.

Now is the really interesting part.

Pour a layer of semolina flour into a dish. Roll your gnudi into about 1 inch balls and gently place them in the semolina, making sure not to let any of them touch. When you run out of room, pour more semolina over, burying the gnudi, and make another layer, repeating the process until your gnudi dough is all gone.




And now comes the part that sucks.

You need to let it sit overnight in the fridge. Boo I know, this is so easy, it would be a great last minute weeknight meal, but No. It needs time to chill out.

The next day, put a pot of salted water on the stove to boil. When you've got a good boil going, gently unearth the little balls of wonder and delight a few at a time and put in the pot.

They will float to the top, let cook for about a minute more and pluck them out with a slotted spoon. Repeat with however many you are going to eat that night (they last a while if you keep them in the semolina)

note: when I cook for my kids, I let them cook a bit longer, just because of the raw eggs.

You can serve these babies up with anything you feel like. Butter and grated cheese, pesta, marinara, or the fab Mario Batali sauce that I am completely in love with. I cooked up a tomato sauce with ground wild boar and garlic. I just threw it all in the pot and let it cook. Nothing fancy.




I don't have any pictures of them post cooking. Maybe I can take some tonight. Because guess what? I've got a batch of em waiting for me in the fridge at home.

1 comment:

  1. yum!! im so into cookign right now, this post excites me. thank you, by the way, for your incredibly kind words of encouragement on my blog. i am truly lucky to have a follower like you! xxS

    ReplyDelete