Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Walking Tour- Part 3

3rd stop- Arnaud's

Food- Shrimp Remoulade




This is another really old restaurant. We went into the Oyster Bar part of the restaurant, and there was a man in there shucking oysters.


It is hard work!


We didn't try any oysters, but had Shrimp Remoulade. And though I can't really eat seafood, I gave it a try. It is served cold with a delicious sauce! I LOVED the sauce, it is a spicy mustard sauce, and I had it sometime long ago and often thought about it. When I took a bite the memory came rushing back, along with an enormous sense of relief that I had found that flavor again!

Of course I purchased a bottle!



After we finished our food, we went for a walk through the rest of the restaurant.

The couple who owned the restaurant had a daughter, Germaine, and she was said to be something of a partier. She was mardi Gras queen more times than anybody in history! The restaurant was eventually taken over by another family, as Germaine wasn't interested. But, the new owners decided to make a Mardi Gras Museum upstairs with many of the ballgowns that she wore, and there are photos of her in most of the dresses as well, here are a few.



No comments:

Post a Comment